Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Observation Hours: Class 2

For the second time that I went to Mrs. Lytle's class I stayed for two hours. I noticed many similar things between  the first class and then, this class. When I arrived the class was coming back from their "special" class of the day which was computer. The first thing they did when returning from computer was take a 15 minute snack break. One thing I noticed this class that I did not notice in the first class was the writing on the board that read "surprise." However, there was no "e" at the end of the word. I figured that the class had done something wrong and lost the letter and they also may be losing out on some sort of reward if the rest of the word is erased. I find this to be helpful because it can keep the kids calm if they want the surprise. While the students were enjoying their snacks a couple of them had to go to the back of the classroom with the teacher to practice reading. After the snack break, the students gathered on the carpet in the front of the room to practice nouns, capitalization, and punctuation. One thing I noticed during this was that the class paid a lot of attention to the teacher and did not slack off or fall asleep. Many times in high school classes you may find many students to not pay attention or even fall asleep, but that was definitely not the case for these young students. The class read a "decodable" again for the day and this one was called "In A Jar." The reason they read this particular decodable was because it dealt with their sound of the day. The sound of the day was "ar." The final object the children completed for the class before I left was writing a short story about themselves. After they wrote the stories they had the chance to read it aloud to a partner of their choice. Many of the children came up to me and shared their stories with me, this made me feel very welcome and accepted to the class. My second trip to the class was great and I am looking forward to my last few days with the class in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment