Thursday, November 19, 2015

Obseravtion Hours: Class 3

When I arrived for my third visit at Wickliffe Elementary School I felt a lot more comfortable compared to the first two trips. The children were very welcoming of me as if I was going to be there everyday. When I arrived they were just getting back from their "special" class of the day which was music. I found out on the two days I usually went, which were Wednesday and Friday, was the days where the students had Music and Computer as their special class. Upon arrival the students ate a snack and then, had the chance to grab a book to read from the "browsing box." I figured this was a box they chose a book from once a week to read and then put back when they were done. When they put it back they wrote down the book they read on a piece of paper that they kept in their desks. After reading, the class gathered on the carpet and practiced words that were hard to pronounce and also syllables. Then, the class had to take a test on the words that they had just learned. Upon completion of that test the class had to take another test, but this one was about adding and subtracting. I thought this could be challenging for students because they are so young, but they still had to take two different tests back to back. You can definitely tell how focused each student was and how bad they wanted a good grade on the tests, which is something you do not always see with older students. There is quite an amazing difference between all grade levels with the way everyone acts. In three short visits to Mrs. Lytle's class it has been amazing to see how much these children can learn in a short amount of time. It just shows that if you put your mind to something you really can do it. I am looking forward to my final two visits, I can not believe I am already half way done with my observation hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment