Friday, September 25, 2015

Blog Post 4: Lisa Delpit Second Quote

The second quote from Lisa Delpit says "[Teachers] should recognize that the linguistic form a student brings to school is intimately connected with loved one’s community, and personal identity. To suggest that this form is “wrong” or, even worse, ignorant, is to suggest that something is wrong with the student and his or her family." I completely agree with this quote and everything that she says in it. We are all grown up differently and are taught different things by the communities that we come from. We are all different people in this world and we need to accept each other for the way we are. One day I hope to be a teacher of young children. I know that I have to go into my classroom with an open mind about these children. If I think there is something wrong with a student because of the way they act or the clothes they wear or just any little detail, that would make me a very ignorant teacher because who am I to judge someone I don't know or a family I don't know based on the way a child acts. Maybe the certain student has a rough time at home so they act up in my class because this is the only time they get to have fun. I know that I can not judge these students. I truly believe that every student in this world is very unique and they all look at it in a different way. Our opinions are all different from one another so we MUST keep and open mind when a student walks into our classroom. Everyone in this world is different nobody is the exact same. Teachers need to embrace this and not judge a book by its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment