Friday, October 9, 2015

Blog Post 5: Rofes

In his book A Radical Rethinking of Sexuality and Schooling Eric Rofe's talks about how hard it was for him to grow up as a homosexual. He presents many details from his childhood of how hard it was for him in grade school and high school and even adult life. The schools that I have attended have not shown much prejudice towards homosexual students, instead they have embraced the way they are. At my high we only had one openly gay student and everyone was very accepting and friendly to him honestly, he was one of the more popular students because of his bravery. In his book Rofe's considers childhood a "negative" part of life. I personally do not agree with this at all. Childhood should be one of the happiest and greatest times of your life. It is one of the only times you can have an open imagination and enjoy everything. It seems like enjoying his childhood and having fun was not something he really took part in but rather hated it. If I am teaching at a school in four years I hope it is the school where I went to as a child. I believe the school will still be very similar to the way it was nearly 10 years ago when I attended the school. The kids are still hopefully happy, funny, outgoing young boys and girls just like it was for me and the rest of my classmates because elementary school was a great and exciting experience for all of our young minds. Currently I am doing my observation hours at the same elementary school I went to and not many things have really changed. It seems as if they do most of the same work we did. Have the same schedule we did. Also, they act the same way that we did. Hopefully, these things continue and I am able to earn a job at this dream school because it would be a dream come true to have that kind of dream job.

No comments:

Post a Comment